Thursday, December 16, 2010

Wonderfull Wiki World

And so the world of wiki has been opened up to me. The only other experience of wikis I've had is the ubiquitous Wikipedia (haven't we all) which I use to find bits of information and advise my daughter NOT to use for school assignments. (Oh, well - maybe just to find other sources).

So wiki's can be used for updating info among a selected group - for libraries our patrons who might want to include reviews, local information updates, compliments for library staff - in lieu of chocolate? p'raps not.
Or for staff - I'd like to have a wiki for staff picks so we can update regularly with info about the books we're reading.

Or they can be open for all - but I'm not sure how that would work in a community setting like a public library.For a wiki-illiterate like me it seems a bit scary opening up a local page for the WHOLE WIDE WORLD to access. Having said that,  interest levels would probably be low among those outside the library's community of borrowers and staff.

The plan now is to explore the wiki world a little more over the summer. Some friends and I are planning the first meeting of a philosophy club (as opposed to a book club) where we can explore some ethical and philosophical ideas at our own pace, in a comfy place, with wine and food (of course!).

In the first flush of wikiexcitement I've created a place in wetpaint where we can write our own ideas, review books, suggest resources, plan and record the outcomes of our meetings. The potential is there to build on our understanding of the ideas we talk about when .... or we could just to review the wine we  have with our philosophy.

Hmmm ... I wonder if Voltaire would go with a nice verdelho ....

1 comment:

  1. Ooops! I've just noticed I have inadvertantly almost stolen your title for the wiki blog post. It sounded so perfectly alliterative at six o'clock this morning ... sorry!

    ReplyDelete